Friday, May 12, 2006

The Rice Legacy

Few families have had as much impact on my life as the Rice family. As a fairly new Christian I was given a copy of the Sword of the Lord in 1974 when John R. Rice was the editor. What a blessing that was to me. The Lord used John R. Rice to draw me closer to Him in ways I could not have imagined. I have almost every book he ever wrote (I am still trying to find a few out-of-print ones) and have listened to hundreds of his sermons through various forms of media. I was priviliged to meet the great man of God in person and hear him preach numerous times. Only eternity will reveal the influence he has had on my life. If you can get anything by him (books, tapes, whatever) I would advise you to do so.

His family has been a blessing to me as well. His brother Bill Rice (who God used to start the Bill Rice Ranch) was also a great writer and preacher as are Bill's sons- Bill III, Pete, and Ronnie. His grandson Wil, is no slouch in that area either. Both Bill III and Wil have preached at Bradford Baptist Church where I have the privilege to pastor and Pete will be with us on June 4, 2006, Lord willing. I am praising God!

I had the privilege of teaching several of John Rice's grandchildren when I was a teacher at Tennessee Temple High School and was taught by several of his sons-in-law while I was a student at Temple Baptist Theological Seminary (now called Tennessee Temple Seminary). I have heard others of his sons-in-law preach and the writings of his daughters and these men are also a great blessing.

It was through the Sword that God led me to Tennessee Temple and under the ministry of Lee Roberson and there I heard hundreds of God's men in chapel and the classroom. All because Don Miller gave me a copy of the Sword of the Lord. Despise not the day of small things.

Of course the Sword itself has allowed me to glean from others. One of those in particular, Dr. Robert L. Sumner is mighty in the Scriptures. Here is another man of God who like Rice has been an evangelist, editior, author, published, preacher, Bible scholar... I could go on. Dr. Sumner, whom I count as a dear friend is still active. Use the link provided at the side and visit the Biblical Evangelist website. Be prepared to be blessed! He has taken some stands that were unpopular but were necessary and Biblical and I am grateful for a man of courage who like Paul, seeks to please God rather than men.

Well, I could go on but the bottom line is, Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'