Sunday, May 05, 2024

THE BIBLE AND THE TRINITY

THE BIBLE AND THE TRINITY                      

MATTHEW 28:16-20

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

One great Bible doctrine that confuses many of the cults is the doctrine of the Trinity. Any group that denies the Trinity is a group you want no part of. Someone may say, “But I don’t understand it.” John R. Rice once said, “The things you don’t understand would fill a mighty big book.” There is a lot that is true that you and I don’t understand- but that doesn’t make it any less true. The Word of God is True, and the Word of God teaches the Trinity.

 

I. THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD

 

1. So Says the Law [Dt. 4:35, 6:4]

- Unto thee it was showed, that thou mightest know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him.

-Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

 

2. So Says the Prophets [Is. 43:10-11, 44:6]

- Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour.

-Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

 

3. So Says the Saviour [Mark 12:28-30]

And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

 

II. THERE ARE THREE PERSONS IN THIS ONE GOD

 

1. The Word “One” in these Passages refer to a Compound Unity [Gn. 2:24, 11:6, Jn. 17:22, Gal. 3:28]

- Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

- And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

- And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

- There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

 

2. God Uses Plural Pronouns referring to Himself [Gn. 1:26, 3:22, Is. 6:8]

- And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

- And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

- Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

 

3. The New Testament often refers to the Trinity [Mt. 3:16-17, Eph. 4:4-6, 2 Cor. 13:14]

- And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

- There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

-The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

 

III. GOD IS ESSENTIALLY ONE AND IS ALSO THREE

1. God is Spirit [Jn. 4:24]

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

2. God is Infinite [Ps. 147:5, Numbers 23:19, Isaiah 40:18-31]

-Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

- God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

3. God is a Trinity [Mt. 28:19] physical example- H20- water=liquid, steam=vapor, ice=solid

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'