Sunday, April 21, 2024

JESUS IS GOD

JOHN 20:24-31

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

Let us not be shy or coy about this matter. Let all doubt and disputation flee from our minds, our mouths, our meaning. Jesus is God. He is as much God as God the Father and God the Spirit. Let no namby-pamby, mealy-mouthed cowardice keep us from this great and important Truth – the deity of Jesus Christ! The great  missionary C.T. Studd but it this way, “If Jesus Christ be God, and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great of me to make for Him!” And He is God!

 

I. WE HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF HIS WORD

 

1. He Spoke with Authority [Mk. 1:22, 27; John 6:63, 7:46]

- And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

-And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

- It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

- The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.

 

2. He Indirectly Claimed to be God [Jn. 11:39-45]

Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

 

3. He Directly Claimed to be God [Jn. 8:51-59]

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

 

II. WE HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF HIS ACTIONS

 

1. He Forgave Sins [Lk. 5:20-25]

And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts? Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house. And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

 

2. He Accepted Worship [Matthew 2:11, 4:8-10, 8:2, 9:18, 14:33, 15:25, 28:9, 17]

- And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

- Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

 

3. He Rose from the Dead [Ecclesiastes 8:8, John 10:18, Rm. 1:4]

-There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death

- No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

- And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

 

III. WE HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF OTHERS

 

1. Demons Recognized His Divinity [Luke 8:27-28]

And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.

 

2. Certain Men Recognized His Divinity [Ps. 110:1, Luke 23:42, Jn. 1:1-4, 14-17; Acts 9:1-6]

- A Psalm of David. The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

- And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

- IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men

- And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

 

3. God the Father & God the Holy Spirit Proclaim His Deity [Heb. 1]

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'