Sunday, June 04, 2023

THE CROSSROADS OF LIFE

LUKE 9:18-26

Pastor Rick Jackson

 

I. THE PERSON OF THE CROSS

 

1. A Specific Person [v. 18-20]

 

2. A Specific Purpose [v. 21-22a, 19:10]

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

 

3. A Specific Proof [v. 22b, 11:29]

And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet

 

II. THE PATTERN OF THE CROSS

 

1.  The Cross Exhibits the Power of God [1 Cor. 1:17-18, Rm. 1:16]

-For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

-For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

 

2.  The Cross Exhibits the Peace of God [Col. 1:20-22]

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

 

3.  The Cross Exhibits the Glory of God [Gal. 6:12-14]

As many as desire to make a fair show in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

 

III. THE PERSONALIZATION OF THE CROSS

 

1. A Denial of Self [v. 23a, 24-25]

 

2. A Daily Surrender [v. 23b, 1 Cor. 15:31, Gal. 2:19-20]

-I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

-For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

3. A Divine Satisfaction [v. 23c, 26, Mt. 10:32] Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'