Friday, May 05, 2017

John R. Rice Quotes of the Day

Everybody has somebody he can win whom others can't win. How often I have won some people others didn't or couldn't win. But some man I could not win - some other preacher came along and got these people saved right away.
Everybody has somebody he can win to Christ and ought to win. And that is a wonderful thing. - John R. Rice

Let us learn our lesson. "Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him." And I am going to stay here and plead until I get it. You can wait on God.
Somebody says, "Aren't you afraid you will roll on the floor, or jump over benches?"
"No, If your boy wants bread, you don't give him a rock," Jesus said. Well, you don't think God is as honest as that? If you want the power of God, that is what God wants to give you. And you should seek it. - John R. Rice 

I want you to see that "they that gladly received his word were baptized" [Acts 2:41]. Who was baptized> That is, who publicly took on himself the name of Christian? Who was it that counted themselves committed, branded lined up with God's people? Those who gladly received His word.
Let us imagine that here a great number of people come. They say, "Peter, I have been saved. I have trusted the Lord." Peter says, "Are you taking God's word for it? Are you believing that He died for your sins? Are you relying on His death, that He paid for your sins? Are you relying on His promises, that He gave you everlasting life when you trusted Him?"
"Yes."
"All right, then you may be baptized." - John R. Rice

Can you know that you are forgiven, and know that you are going to Heaven? Yes, you can. In II Timothy 1:12 Paul says, "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." "I know whom I have believed." It is already done. I have already believed. Not I am believing," but by an act of faith I committed myself to Christ, I relied on Christ. "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded [or convinced] that He is able to keep that which I committed unto Him." Now Paul committed himself and the saving of his soul to the Lord. He said, "And I know He will keep what I have already committed unto Him." Paul knew he was saved. - John R. Rice 

How long does it take you to make a deposit in your bank? Well, it doesn't take that long to turn your soul over to Jesus and rely on Him to keep it for you. - John R. Rice

I believe it was J. Wilbur Chapman who said that when he was a young fellow, he was in Moody's meeting. He was already converted but he didn't have the assurance he wanted, He said, "I don't believe I have faith enough."
D.L. Moody said, "Who is it you don't have faith in? Are you doubting Jesus Christ?"
"Oh no! Oh, no! I'm doubting myself."
"Well, you are not the one who does the saving. If you don't doubt Jesus, then leave it with Him."
That is the only way. Let Jesus do the saving. He does it free. - John R. Rice

While John the Baptist was baptizing in Aenon, near to Salim, Jesus came and asked John to baptize Him. John said, I'm not fit to baptize Thee, Lord Jesus. You baptize me."
Jesus said, "thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him." Jesus said it becomes us. Jesus was to be baptized because it pictured that He was going to die, would be buried in Joseph's tomb, and would come out of the grave resurrected. Baptism pictured that. But it would become us also because it pictures that Jesus died so we could be raised from the dead also. That means that I'm going to bury this old sinner I used to be, count him dead, and count myself raised from the dead to a new life for Jesus. So Jesus said "it becometh us" - Jesus and us - to be baptized. Yes, Christians ought to be baptized. - John R. Rice

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'